Author Topic: Once Upon a Time - Season 2  (Read 6444 times)

Offline a_davia

• Tuner
Once Upon a Time - Season 2
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
2.21 "Second Star to the Right"

I assume that Bae's flashback has some connection to the Peter Pan story, which for some reason, I've never become familiar with.  I am mildly intrigued that when Bae first went though the portal as a child, he didn't go as far into the future as one would assume.  It makes me wonder if he's un-naturally old or if he travelled through time at some point.

I don't know.  The whole we-hate-magic thing seems a little underdeveloped, especially since Tamara didn't hesitate to use magic herself as a weapon against Neal.  I somewhat like the idea of outside forces possibly developing as the enemy.  Maybe then they'll stop treating Gold & Regina like yo-yos of good & evil, because maybe everyone in the town -- even those two -- will have to band together to survive some bigger issue.

It sucks to see what happened to Neal.  He's actually one of the better characters on this show to come along in a while.  I'm pretty sure he's not dead though.  And, I was impressed by Jennifer Morrison's performance in the portal scene.  On top of her performance, there's something about the way her mouth is shaped that conveys pain and/or crying well (that's why she was also perfect as a mother in labor during the first few minutes of the 2009 Star Trek reboot).

And, I just realized that the portal scene looks & feels quite similar to the hatch scene in the season 5 finale of Lost...
(click to show/hide)
Oh, those crazy ex-Lost writers are up to their subtle homages again. ;)

Bar said in an earlier episode that he is 250 years old.  He told Emma that he knew how to sail Hook's boat because he had spent time with Hook before coming to this world.

I am not liking the Lost over tones; I felt ripped off by that show and have no desire to be treated so badly again.

Be ever wonderful
Be ever wonderful

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
  • The human embodiment of wordiness & over-thinking.
Re: Once Upon a Time - Season 2
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
I am not liking the Lost over tones; I felt ripped off by that show and have no desire to be treated so badly again.

The way this town is mostly cut off from the outside world, it's almost like it's an *island* unto itself. ;)  Here lately, it has felt like the writers are treating Storybrooke like its the mainland equivalent of the island from Lost.  Also, remember how big a deal it was in Lost for people to leave the island or to find it again if they ever left it?  In this show, people are shocked when someone from outside drives into town, and if a native tries to leave the town they lose their pre-curse memories.  With the fairy tale characters, it's still a very different show, but it does feel like the same bag of tricks is being used.

I was surprised when Neal woke up in this episode that the alarm clock said 6:00 and not 8:15, like the Lost numbers.  But, the previews for next week do show ripply, black tentacles wrapping around the town clock tower.  It almost looked like..the Smoke Monster. :-\
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics"
 -- Ambassador Londo Mollari, Babylon 5

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
  • The human embodiment of wordiness & over-thinking.
Re: Once Upon a Time - Season 2
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »
2.22 "And Straight on 'Til Morning"

Highlights:
  • So, we finally see Regina at her most regretful, most sympathetic, most unselfish, most heroic, etc.  I'm willing to count this as a good thing as long as she stays on a positive path.  If she goes right back to being self-centered, controlling, vengeful, evil, etc., next season, I'm going to be ticked off and may have to stop watching.  I'm already tempted to not watch next season anyway.  (Not really selling this as a Highlight very well, am I?)
  • Neal is still alive, recent news says the actor that plays him will be bumped up to series regular next season, and he's found by Phillip, Aurora, and Mulan.  This I'm actually intrigued by because I like three of these characters and am neutral on Phillip.  So, did the two ladies find Phillip, or did Bae also travel through time and wash up on shore before the ladies got separated from Phillip earlier in the season?  If this in the current time and not the past, I'm curious which directions feelings are going in this love triangle...  Do both Aurora and Mulan love Phillip, or just Aurora?  Which one does Phillip love, or could he love both?  Any chance fans aren't just imagining things and Mulan might have a spark for Aurora -- vice versa -- or both?  And, could Bae possibly turn this crazy love triangle into a trapezoid?
Nitpicks:
  • Gold came dangerously close to possibly killing his own grandson. :o ::)  If the others hadn't walked up, he might have gone through with it.  Just for coming that close, he needs to do a lot to redeem himself.
  • How did Owen know he was supposed to hit the failsafe jewel instead of triggering it some other way like speaking a passphrase?
  • How convenient that a common enemy instantly brings everyone, including three villains, together for a common goal.  Then, of course, one of them backstabs the others and then later un-backstabs the others.  Just another example of the show playing yo-yo with characters' good & evil intentions even within the same episode.
  • So, Lacey takes a little sip of Gold's magical Windex from the chipped cup, and instantly she's Belle again.  Knowing it's all magic mumbo jumbo, maybe it wouldn't bother me so bad if not for another show recently handling magic-induced amnesia in a much better way.  And, what did turning Belle into Lacey for a few episodes really accomplish anyway? ::)
  • So, these magic beans...  How do people know where they're going to go?  Bae going to Aurora's realm and Owen/Tamara/Henry going to Neverland proves that they don't all go to the same place.   But, did Owen & Tamara know their bean would take them to Neverland?  Is it something you can control, or do you just have to take your chances?  And, Gold uses the weird blood-globe thing to supposedly track Owen & Tamara, but then how do you navigate a bean portal? ???
  • So, Peter Pan is looking for Henry and might be a bad guy?  This would be more intriguing and climactic if I was familiar at all with the Peter Pan story, but I'm not.  And, how could anyone from another land know about Henry?

Neither a highlight nor a nitpick, but in keeping with little homages to Lost, did the visual effects & sound effects of the ship vanishing into the bean portal seem a little reminiscent of (Lost spoiler ahead)...
(click to show/hide)
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics"
 -- Ambassador Londo Mollari, Babylon 5

Offline a_davia

• Tuner
Once Upon a Time - Season 2
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 01:37:28 AM »
2.22 "And Straight on 'Til Morning"

Highlights:
  • So, we finally see Regina at her most regretful, most sympathetic, most unselfish, most heroic, etc.  I'm willing to count this as a good thing as long as she stays on a positive path.  If she goes right back to being self-centered, controlling, vengeful, evil, etc., next season, I'm going to be ticked off and may have to stop watching.  I'm already tempted to not watch next season anyway.  (Not really selling this as a Highlight very well, am I?)
  • Neal is still alive, recent news says the actor that plays him will be bumped up to series regular next season, and he's found by Phillip, Aurora, and Mulan.  This I'm actually intrigued by because I like three of these characters and am neutral on Phillip.  So, did the two ladies find Phillip, or did Bae also travel through time and wash up on shore before the ladies got separated from Phillip earlier in the season?  If this in the current time and not the past, I'm curious which directions feelings are going in this love triangle...  Do both Aurora and Mulan love Phillip, or just Aurora?  Which one does Phillip love, or could he love both?  Any chance fans aren't just imagining things and Mulan might have a spark for Aurora -- vice versa -- or both?  And, could Bae possibly turn this crazy love triangle into a trapezoid?
Nitpicks:
  • Gold came dangerously close to possibly killing his own grandson. :o ::)  If the others hadn't walked up, he might have gone through with it.  Just for coming that close, he needs to do a lot to redeem himself.
  • How did Owen know he was supposed to hit the failsafe jewel instead of triggering it some other way like speaking a passphrase?
  • How convenient that a common enemy instantly brings everyone, including three villains, together for a common goal.  Then, of course, one of them backstabs the others and then later un-backstabs the others.  Just another example of the show playing yo-yo with characters' good & evil intentions even within the same episode.
  • So, Lacey takes a little sip of Gold's magical Windex from the chipped cup, and instantly she's Belle again.  Knowing it's all magic mumbo jumbo, maybe it wouldn't bother me so bad if not for another show recently handling magic-induced amnesia in a much better way.  And, what did turning Belle into Lacey for a few episodes really accomplish anyway? ::)
  • So, these magic beans...  How do people know where they're going to go?  Bae going to Aurora's realm and Owen/Tamara/Henry going to Neverland proves that they don't all go to the same place.   But, did Owen & Tamara know their bean would take them to Neverland?  Is it something you can control, or do you just have to take your chances?  And, Gold uses the weird blood-globe thing to supposedly track Owen & Tamara, but then how do you navigate a bean portal? ???
  • So, Peter Pan is looking for Henry and might be a bad guy?  This would be more intriguing and climactic if I was familiar at all with the Peter Pan story, but I'm not.  And, how could anyone from another land know about Henry?

Neither a highlight nor a nitpick, but in keeping with little homages to Lost, did the visual effects & sound effects of the ship vanishing into the bean portal seem a little reminiscent of (Lost spoiler ahead)...
(click to show/hide)

I was meh about this episode.  As for  Belle being Lacey - it shows that Gold is inherently bad and only when someone is watching over him will he be good.  When Belle isn't there, there is no reason to be good.  This episode is not a strong season ender - the only cliffhanger is the Peter Pan story.  As for the Mulan, Aurora & Phillip story I don't see the triangle - Aurora & Phillip are together and for some reason as yet unsaid Mulan feels obligated to Phillip.

Be ever wonderful
Be ever wonderful