Author Topic: Constantine - Season 1  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
  • The human embodiment of wordiness & over-thinking.
Re: Constantine - Season 1
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »
1.06 "Rage of Caliban"

Another good episode.  It was a little weird omitting the Zed character from an entire episode so soon, but I liked seeing Constantine depend more on Chas for a mission.  And, it was an interesting mission, effectively creepy.  The story takes place at Halloween, so I wonder if the episode was meant to air earlier in line with real life Halloween.

I liked the scene between Constantine and angel Manny, I liked how Constantine dealt with the mother of the possessed child, and it was cool to see Constantine use something basic like a mirror as a weapon (or maybe more accurately as a shield).
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics"
 -- Ambassador Londo Mollari, Babylon 5

Offline TageRyche

• Tuner
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 09:32:24 AM »
Rage of Caliban was interesting but without Zed being there, it felt like this was an episode shown out of order or something.

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
1.07 "Blessed Are the Damned"  (back in December)

That was an intriguing episode with the fallen angel. 

1.08 "The Saint of Last Resorts, Part 1"  (also back in December)

That was a cool episode because we got to learn more about John's past and that people are looking for Zed.

1.09 "The Saint of Last Resorts, Part 2"

It was good to see the show return, and this was a good episode.  I like how quickly John was able to gain control, or at least acceptance, in the prison.  And, his friends had cool ways of getting into prison and getting John out.  The cast was excellent throughout, especially during the exorcism scene.  Matt Ryan's very physical performance as a possessed Constantine surely must have been exhausting.

Offline TageRyche

• Tuner
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 04:18:20 AM »
Kind of turned off by this past week's episode. Not necessarily by the story.

But the use of a fire at a nightclub angle for Chaz was offputting. It was a direct allusion to The Station fire in Rhode Island years back. I had a friend from high school die in that fire and it was not something I ever want to see used in a TV episode. All these years later, the tragedy still resonates.

Worse yet was the band in the episode, Lillian Axe, is a real band still working today. Great White was the band on stage during The Station fire.

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
1.10 "Quid Pro Quo"
It was interesting to get Chas's unexpected backstory, but I didn't like the whole soul-stealing plot.

1.11 "A Whole World Out There"
This episode was intriguing at first, but the plot was a little hard to follow and got weirder the more it went along.  It was still somewhat enjoyable though, thanks mostly to the strengths of the performances, especially by Lost's Jeremy Davies as recurring college professor Ritchie.

1.12 "Angels and Ministers of Grace"
This week's episode was probably one of the best so far.  The monster-of-the-week subplot was just okay, but Zed's medical condition and the temporary "grounding" of angel Manny were great subplots.  The black diamond was an interesting plot device.  And, I like how the episode ended.

Hard to believe there's only one episode left.  Somehow, the season feels like it went by fast.  Still no word on a season 2 renewal, but I'm hoping.  I wasn't sure I'd watch this show, and in some ways, it's still not my typical taste.  But, somehow I've come to like it anyway.

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 06:44:11 PM »
1.13 "Waiting for the Man"

I wonder how much the writers & producers were counting on a back nine, because until the last few minutes, this didn't feel at all like the finale of a 13-episode season.  The tone of the last few minutes did shift a little more toward that though, and the final twist made for an intriguing cliffhanger (though one that makes me a little disappointed in a character).

On the positive side, the episode was successfully creepy if that's what they were going for, I liked the conversation between Zed & Manny, and it was good to have the detective back from earlier in the season.

I thought it was more than a little naive for the young girl to get caught up in that weird "married to the man" thing, but I'm assuming there was some kind of evil magic at work to entice her.  It seemed a little cliche that the bad guy had to be such an over-the-top redneck.  I thought Constantine's smoking was a bit excessive in this episode.  And, I missed Chas.

Since last week, the newest rumors are that the show might move over to Syfy.  Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing, but if that's what it takes to not get cancelled, I'd probably watch a 2nd season wherever it lands.

Offline scorpiesue

• Tuner
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »
1.01 "Non Est Asylum"

This show isn't totally my thing conceptually, but I'm still intrigued by the main character and his situation.  I found it very refreshing that Constantine doesn't hold back and try to find some more believable explanation for crazy things that go one.  He just comes right out and says, this is a possession, this is a spell, that's a demon, etc.

I also like how blunt his business cards are about his very special skills and the running joke about re-printing the cards because *master* of dark arts sounds a bit pompous. ;D

The first episode felt a little weird at the end, because I felt like Liv was being set up as a major character, and then she just disappears off-camera.  According to Wikipedia, the writers & producers decided to go a different direction with the series, so they found a way of editing that character out of the end of the pilot.  So, that's possibly the only episode we'll see her in. ???  I thought she was an okay character, so I wonder what better direction they now have planned.

I wonder if every episode will be based in Atlanta.  If Kevin, Wendy, Jesse, and Lou watched this, I'm curious if they also paused on the skyline establishing shots like I did trying to look for the Dragon Con host hotels and surrounding buildings. ;)  The circular tower of the Westin was prominent in several shots, and I could also make out the SunTrust tower, whatever building is south of Peachtree Center, and the blue dome on top of the Hyatt.  Either the Marriott & Hilton were obscured by other buildings, or I don't have a good enough sense what they look like from outside at night.

Anyway, back to the show...  Demons and lost souls aren't my thing, but at least the show also has angels and religious rites of exorcism to balance those things out.  And, the main character is charismatic & intriguing.  So, I'm willing to continue giving it a try.

...watched this first episode of the series and had all the same reactions !   

...don't think that fighting demons every week is my thing but i have to say the characters were very compelling and if i had to keep on watching i would because things were not boring at all and in fact were kind of interesting   

...but since i don't have to,  i think i will spend the time i have to spare trying out another show  (the next i have in the cue is Grimm)
...just visiting this planet...

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
...but since i don't have to,  i think i will spend the time i have to spare trying out another show  (the next i have in the cue is Grimm)

If you're still tempted to check out Constantine at some point, but you have limited time, I would recommend skipping episode 3, although that might have been the episode that introduced Papa Midnight.  If you're really limited on time, you could possibly just skim episodes 2 through 6, fast-forwarding through demon-hunt-of-the-week scenes and just focusing on learning about sidekicks Zed & Chas.  Episode 7 is where the show hits its stride with a interesting angel story, and episodes 8 & 9 are a two-parter with a ton of backstory and character development.  Out of the last four, the only one that's possibly skippable or skimmable is episode 11, which is sad to say because it's got great performances even if the plot goes a bit weird by the end.

If you're completely new to Grimm, I would recommend judging it on more than just one episode.  It's become one of my favorite shows, but there was nothing super compelling about the pilot episode.  Grimm is 22 episodes every season, so it has a slow build and lots of stand-alone episodes early on.  If you're patient, you'll be rewarded for sticking with it because all those Wesen-of-the-week episodes create this rich mythology of fantastic creatures and a mythical subculture.  It explores legends & superstitions from various cultures and has a nice ensemble of enjoyable characters.

The other thing about Grimm is that it's become a very stable & dependable show, kind of the fantasy equivalent of the Stargate franchise.  By that, I mean that it's rarely superb but even more rarely, if ever, bad and never horrible.  Maybe only around season & mid-season finales will it sometimes blow you away, but you can still depend on every other episode being somewhere between good and excellent.

Offline Wendy Hembrock

• TIST Crew
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 06:23:20 AM »
Grimm found its groove midway into season 1, and while it doesn't improve drastically in any one episode or season, it just consistently creeps up better and better until by season 2 or 3, I loved all the characters and the overarching story that's running in the background.  This show's formula is like Supernatural - mostly procedural with an overarching story that comes in and out of focus at various times in each season. (I'm discounting season 4 of SPN, which was pretty much apocalypse every week - that was one of the best seasons, but not the normal formula of SPN).

Offline scorpiesue

• Tuner
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 07:01:26 PM »

...thank you Todd and Wendy for your advice  :)

...i'm not sure what i'm going to do,  i don't have hours to spend to get to the good parts of a show

...i need a new show but i want one that is great right out of the gate (like 12 Monkeys, Orphan Black or Sleepy Hollow season 1)

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 03:39:31 AM »
...i need a new show but i want one that is great right out of the gate (like 12 Monkeys, Orphan Black or Sleepy Hollow season 1)

For that, I would recommend Agent Carter, The Flash, or Arrow (assuming you're not already watching them).  Agent Carter was only eight episodes, and The Flash is still in the middle of season 1, but both have been great.  I've never mainlined anything more quickly and with more unexpected enthusiasm than seasons 1 & 2 of Arrow.  Unfortunately, season 3 has been a bit uneven, but the first two seasons -- wow!

Offline Wendy Hembrock

• TIST Crew
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 07:01:17 AM »
I really enjoyed Agent Carter.  Flash and Arrow were also good from the start in my view.  You are already watching Penny Dreadful which was also good from the pilot.   

Offline scorpiesue

• Tuner
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »
For that, I would recommend Agent Carter, The Flash, or Arrow (assuming you're not already watching them).  Agent Carter was only eight episodes, and The Flash is still in the middle of season 1, but both have been great.  I've never mainlined anything more quickly and with more unexpected enthusiasm than seasons 1 & 2 of Arrow.  Unfortunately, season 3 has been a bit uneven, but the first two seasons -- wow!

...thanks again for the suggestions  :)   ...i do watch Arrow and loved it from the beginning

...i forgot i was going to check out Agent Carter !   ...it will be next

Offline TageRyche

• Tuner
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
The show is being resurrected as an animated series via the CW Seed. Matt Ryan will continue as John Constantine.