Author Topic: Dark Matter - Season 1  (Read 754 times)

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
  • The human embodiment of wordiness & over-thinking.
Dark Matter - Season 1
« on: July 25, 2015, 03:27:37 AM »
I'm increasingly impressed with Dark Matter so far and would recommend it to anyone not already watching it.  I like the premise, the characters, and a few elements of mystery it has.

This may not make sense, but it feels like a show that should be worse -- but isn't.  In other words, there are hints of it being a "low"-budget space opera knockoff and maybe a Firefly-wannabe.  But, it has layers to it and constant glimmers of greater potential.  Even if pieces of it feel borrowed from other shows, I predict they'll keep throwing in twists and surprises until it feels completely unique.

I was most impressed with Episode 7 this week, which had a lot of unexpected heart & humor -- not that that's completely new for this show.  I think Episode 7 may be where the show has hit its stride on teamwork & character interaction.  My only complaint so far is that the episodes don't have titles.

Doing a little a wiki-research on the actors, I found out Melissa O'Neill who plays Two is also a singer who actually won season 3 of Canadian Idol as a teenager in 2005.  Interesting.
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics"
 -- Ambassador Londo Mollari, Babylon 5

Offline a_davia

• Tuner
Re: Dark Matter - Season 1
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 06:00:30 AM »
I too am really impressed.  I hadn't expected anything, but I'm quite amazed with how well the plots and characters have been developed.  (I had originally thought 5 was 2's little sister, but that's not the case, yet it still makes sense.)

Be ever wonderful
Be ever wonderful

Offline Wendy Hembrock

• TIST Crew
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
In the most recent episode I had an immediate Firefly flashback when they found the woman in the box in the cargo hold. But they took the story in a completely different direction.  My disappointment is that they killed her off too fast as person who knew something about #3.  We got a brief glimpse into the character of 3, which was good because I have I found him most cliche thus far, and it would have been more interesting and original to me if a few episodes from now he had to make a choice between a woman he didn't really know and possibly saving her life or being more loyal to the ship/crew.

Characters are rarely named Wendy, so at first I was pleased they were introducing the new Wendy character of the entertainment 'bot, but it had the obligatory pervyness with her as a sex bot before she turned evil. I liked the actor who played her - she did great going going from benign to menacing.

The Android exhibiting jealousy and concern for her value to the crew didn't work for me.  It was done for humour and to showcase the actress can do many accents, but the behavior was not consistent with the character to me.

Despite my dings, I really enjoy this show and make sure to watch it right after Defiance.  I really like #6 (Roger Cross).  Glad they finally hooked up #1 and #2 so we can move on.

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:42:09 AM »
My disappointment is that they killed her off too fast as person who knew something about #3.  We got a brief glimpse into the character of 3, which was good because I have I found him most cliche thus far...

While I was still very satisfied with the episode as a whole, this was a disappointment for me too.  I would also have preferred her staying alive in stasis, so that Three would have his own personal mission to accomplish.  Having someone who loved him and that he could care for humanized him.  I worry that will just be temporary now.

Characters are rarely named Wendy, so at first I was pleased they were introducing the new Wendy character of the entertainment 'bot, but it had the obligatory pervyness with her as a sex bot before she turned evil.

This was also a slight disappointment.  I didn't like her outfit, which was just weird looking and exemplified the sexbot part of her.  But, what I did like was that she was so multi-faceted, rather than being a sexbot only.  She mentioned that she was musical and could play games, and making her a great cook was a superb idea.  There are multiple ways of making people happy, and I liked Five's explanation that relieving stress (no matter the method) is an important need for humans.

So, my disappointment actually comes in her being programmed to kill and being only temporary.  I would have been okay with them reprogramming her and keeping her around or replacing her later with some of that money they now have.  Shows sometimes have alien or robot-like characters being unique or serving a primary purpose.  I think it'd be interesting to have two androids onboard long-term serving completely different roles.

The Android exhibiting jealousy and concern for her value to the crew didn't work for me.  It was done for humour and to showcase the actress can do many accents, but the behavior was not consistent with the character to me.

The nitpicky side of my brain agrees with you.  But, for entertainment purposes, I still enjoyed it.  I laughed out loud when she did the Jamaican accent and held that one vowel sound just a little too long. ;D

Despite my dings, I really enjoy this show and make sure to watch it right after Defiance.

I do the same thing.  I watch Defiance first because it's more established, season 3 is better so far than season 2 was, and it has the biggest twists & surprises.  But, it's also dark and often depressing.  So, I look forward to Dark Matter right after that to lift my spirits some, being the lighter, funnier, more optimistic show.

Glad they finally hooked up #1 and #2 so we can move on.

Yeah, I was disappointed in Two for hooking up with Three in the first place, and I wouldn't want a long-term love triangle.  So, hopefully One & Two just make a good couple going forward.

Offline Jesse Jackson

• Tuner
  • Playing a little Star Trek slots
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
I'm happy with the show as well.  They have a good reason for the flashbacks and I like the journey the characters seem to be on. 
Keep Hope Alive!

Offline TageRyche

• Tuner
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »
I'm happy with the show, though I haven't yet watched this past week's episode.

Offline KingCrocConnors

• Tuner
  • Tuner
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 03:17:18 AM »
Just watching this, its an interesting series but maybe a little cliche. The development of criminal characters, smugglers with missing memories is ok, its a good series but not great I'm willing to stick it out a while see where it's going to go.

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 10:54:59 PM »
I've been re-watching Dark Matter recently and just now finished the season finale.  The show is just as enjoyable & impressive the 2nd time around.

Without spoilers, there's a twist/reveal at the very end of the season finale.  Even after a 2nd viewing, I still didn't catch any clues for it.  It seems to come out of nowhere.  So, I really look forward to season 2 to see how they'll explain the cliffhanger.  But, I also hope there's a good explanation for it, because I don't want it to change the show too much in any negative way.