Author Topic: Season 1  (Read 768 times)

Offline TheShayneShow

• Tuner
    • It's a Geeks Life
Season 1
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:45:59 AM »
I picked up the season 1 Blu-ray set pretty close to day of release, watched the first disc and thought what a piece of crap, the early season 1 episodes were just terrible, I've had plenty of people tell me I needed to persevere  with the show as it does get better.

Well last night I watched most of the second disc mainly because I was too lazy to walk into another room and get something else to watch, the first couple of episodes were an improvement but still not great however by the end of disc 2 what you seem to have is a fun show.

"Did I fall asleep?" "For a little while" made me smile.
It can't rain all the time...

It's a Geeks Life.

Offline Wendy Hembrock

• TIST Crew
  • Administrator
Re: Season 1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
I dropped season 1 after 5 episodes as I thought the writing was meh to say the least. When Kevin and Brent said it got good near the last 8 episodes or so, I went back and caught up.  Season 2 was solid from the start and kept improving to the end, and season 3 has been wonderful overall.  The show is high on my list of shows to watch every week so far. 

Offline Brent Barrett

• Administrator
  • Delia Derbyshire Fan
    • Boden Maddox Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
Is AAA Number One Must Watch Show.  :)

Offline TheShayneShow

• Tuner
    • It's a Geeks Life
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »
It's not a must watch show for me yet but if it keeps improving the way it has so far I can see it becoming one, I agree with Wendy, I thought the first 5 or 6 episodes were just awful but then suddenly things started improving and improving rather quickly which I found interesting given that the people behind the improvements were also for the most part the people responsible for the crappy run of episodes in the beginning.

It's a Geeks Life.

Offline Brent Barrett

• Administrator
  • Delia Derbyshire Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
AoS also ties into the Marvel movies (Captain America Winter Soldier, Thor 2, and Avengers 2).  So keep that in mind when watching. 

Offline TheShayneShow

• Tuner
    • It's a Geeks Life
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:40:17 PM »
AoS also ties into the Marvel movies (Captain America Winter Soldier, Thor 2, and Avengers 2).  So keep that in mind when watching.

Actually that's one of the things I like least about the show, the occasional reference to the movies is fun but they have been doing it a little too often for my liking, I'd like it to stand on it's own a bit more.

It's a Geeks Life.

Offline Brent Barrett

• Administrator
  • Delia Derbyshire Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »
Actually that's one of the things I like least about the show, the occasional reference to the movies is fun but they have been doing it a little too often for my liking, I'd like it to stand on it's own a bit more.

Man, then you are in the wrong comics universe.  :)  The MCU ties into itself all over the place, and Marvel considers its TV shows to be as much a part of the MCU as the movies. 

Even Daredevil referenced the Avengers movie.  And with a significant MCU movie character in the lead role of this show, it's hard to imagine it being entirely without references or hooks into the movies.

...and in case it isn't clear, that is what I LOVE about this show and the entire MCU.  As a huge Marvel fanboy from way back, I just love how it all connects and self-references.  :)

Offline TheShayneShow

• Tuner
    • It's a Geeks Life
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:18:27 PM »
Man, then you are in the wrong comics universe.  :)  The MCU ties into itself all over the place, and Marvel considers its TV shows to be as much a part of the MCU as the movies. 

Even Daredevil referenced the Avengers movie.  And with a significant MCU movie character in the lead role of this show, it's hard to imagine it being entirely without references or hooks into the movies.

...and in case it isn't clear, that is what I LOVE about this show and the entire MCU.  As a huge Marvel fanboy from way back, I just love how it all connects and self-references.  :)

I don't mind the odd reference to the movies and I would assume that Captain America: Winter Soldier would have a major effect on storylines of Agents of SHIELD but it would be nice if the show stood on it's own a little more and could be it's own thing.

I'm a huge comics fan, probably more of a Marvel fan that DC truth be told and I have a funny idea what they are doing with the Mike Peterson character and that's cool if I'm right but nearly every episode at least seems to reference the movies and leftover alien tech from the first Avengers movie is getting a little over used as the device that motivates plot.

I suppose it was to be expected given that this is the first season of the show, I'd rather see the occasional crossover that means something to the entire MCU rather then the endless name dropping of Thor and Iron Man.

It's a Geeks Life.

Offline Brent Barrett

• Administrator
  • Delia Derbyshire Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 08:06:31 AM »
I think you will enjoy the end of the second season and so far all of the third then.  It's a very unique AoS story line that the movies have not touched on at all.

Offline TheShayneShow

• Tuner
    • It's a Geeks Life
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
I think you will enjoy the end of the second season and so far all of the third then.  It's a very unique AoS story line that the movies have not touched on at all.

Sounds good :)

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the show, I just wish they'd save the movie crossovers / connections / references and when they use them make it important to what's going on in the show.

It's a Geeks Life.

Offline TheShayneShow

• Tuner
    • It's a Geeks Life
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 09:15:55 PM »
Well looks like I was right about Mike Peterson :)

I was shocked to see a fairly major character from the Thor comics introduced in the show, I seem to recall that one of the supporting characters from the Thor movies appeared in Agents of SHIELD, I'm guess that will be happening soon.

I may well be way off but I'm thinking Skye is
(click to show/hide)
, looking forward to finding out if I'm right.

It's a Geeks Life.