Author Topic: X-files 2016  (Read 514 times)

Offline scorpiesue

• Tuner
X-files 2016
« on: February 13, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »
...getting ready to watch the second episode and i'm worried  i can't get my mind into  thinking that David Duchovny is not Hank Moody from Californication and he's not going to be pulling a joint out of his pocket and start calling everyone mother f#%@$'s

...when i watched the first ep  i constantly had to tell myself that he was Fox Maulder  and it really took away from my enjoyment   ...i wish they had made him more clean cut like the older X-files and not so scruffy like Hank always was

...i also had a little problem with Joel McHale and thinking that he still was Jeff from Community  ...i found it hard to take him seriously
...just visiting this planet...

Offline Todd W in NC

• Tuner
  • The human embodiment of wordiness & over-thinking.
Re: X-files 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:51:42 PM »
While not the hugest fan of The X-Files during its original run, I still liked those middle seasons and was very intrigued by this unexpected season 10 revival.  And, I have to admit, I've enjoyed it.  But, now that I've seen the season finale which aired tonight, this 10th season is more than just a novelty...  Now, they absolutely, **must** do a season 11. :o  Sure, a movie is a possibility too, but sometimes TV shows are just meant to stay TV shows.  And, if they do an 11th season, I hope new agents Miller & Einstein remain recurring characters but that Mulder & Scully are still the main focus.  And, it wouldn't hurt to do 8 or 10 episodes instead of just 6.

10.01 "My Struggle"
This was a great introduction back into the show.  I couldn't help feel like the big revelation in this episode was nothing new, because even at the height of the "alien" conspiracy, humans always seemed to be meddling in things too.  But, it made bringing the show back feel like more than just a whim.  A minor nitpick would be some frustration with Mulder & Scully each acting like the most extreme versions of their speculative and skeptical selves.  But, with a new conspiracy story line and a fast pace, the season hit the ground running.

10.02 "Founder's Mutation"
I don't remember much about this episode except the cool ending with the sibling mutants and it containing flash-sideways of Mulder & Scully imagining life with their child.  I think I had stopped watching the original run of the show before the baby storyline, but I knew Mulder & Scully had a child together.  It was good for an episode of the revival to not ignore that.

10.03 "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster"
I groaned at this episode's teaser before the opening credits.  It seemed abnormally goofy, and I thought the writers weren't taking it seriously.  When I realized that was intentional, and this was going to be a comedic episode, I was more open-minded.  I think it may have been laugh-out-loud funny only once or twice, but it was definitely very amusing, very creative, and unexpectedly satisfying.  This might have the most re-watch value of the season.

10.04 "Home Again"
I have mixed feelings about this episode.  The subplot about Scully's ailing mother was very well done in every way, especially the performances, :'( and despite the fact that I was a little confused because I don't remember anything about Scully's family from the original run.  But, it was somewhat jarring the way such a sad, poignant subplot was blended cobbled together with such an...ugly subplot about a supernatural creature called Band Aid Nose Man who rips people's limbs off and has a garbage truck as a getaway vehicle.  And, since he always hopped in the back, just who is driving that garbage truck?!? ???  Was the driver supernatural too?  Was the garbage truck itself supernatural?  This just didn't seem like a worthy case-of-the-week to steal Scully's attention away from her family issues.  Her final line of the episode was a decent attempt at trying to connect the episode's trash motif to the topic of her & Mulder's son, but it also had an awful "ring" to it.

10.05 "Babylon"
I loved the introduction of Agents Miller & Einstein.  I hope their similarities to Mulder & Scully are for comedic effect only and not some hint they may replace Mulder & Scully in future installments.  At first, I also liked Mulder's mushroom trip scene, which is undoubtedly supposed to be the most memorable part of the episode.  But, as I thought about it more and heard it discussed elsewhere, the mushroom trip has several problems...
(click to show/hide)
Luckily, the episode ended on a really nice, casual, quasi-romantic scene between Mulder & Scully walking & talking, which now feels like the calm before the storm considering the season finale to follow.

10.06 "My Struggle II"
This is the episode that completely justifies the return of The X-Files after all this time and even for so short a run.  It was exciting & fast-paced, it had surprisingly high stakes, it had a cinematic feel to it, and it has game-changing consequences on the overall X-Files universe.  In a longer season, this could have been a two-parter.  My only nitpicks:  (1) It has such strong connective tissue to 10.01 that it makes the middle four episodes feel almost like distractions from a more important story, no matter how good some of it was.  (2) Mulder & Scully are apart for almost the whole episode.  (3) The episode ends on **too much** of a cliffhanger.  That last one is fine if there's actually going to be an 11th season (or a movie, whatever).  In that case, I'm impressed.  *Even I* want another season of The X-Files. :o  Well done!  But, being impressed is replaced with major frustration if they did all this just to end a brief revival on the mother of all cliffhangers with no intention of finishing it up.  There's more story to tell.  Now they absolutely have to tell it.
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics"
 -- Ambassador Londo Mollari, Babylon 5

Offline TageRyche

• Tuner
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:16:37 AM »
I hate to say this but the entire season of The X-Files was a waste of time for me.

Offline Wendy Hembrock

• TIST Crew
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:39:47 AM »
It wasn't a waste of time for me. I liked the 'mytharc' episodes the least of all though, so Carter's got some real work to do upon the return. That season ending was very frustrating and felt like a giant chain yank.  I know they did it to homage the pilot, but at this point, that's not sufficient to conclude the story.

I'm very glad to have gotten these X-Files though, and I hope the next season is much less of a mixed bag in terms of the stories and the writing. I had no issues with the performances or the production. 

Offline OldDarth

• Tuner
    • ODONTV - Fringe, FarScape, Stephen King podcasts & reviews
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »
This 6 episode mini-series is a microsm of the original series. The quality of the individual parts remain greater than the totality of the series.  It speaks volumes about the vitality of a franchise when its best episode in this run is one that spoofs the series.

If X-Files is going to be revitalized it needs to George Lucas, Carter and get a creative blood transfusion. He became burnt out during the original run and has never recovered. What a weak episode to end this short season on. Ugh!
Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

Offline Wendy Hembrock

• TIST Crew
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
Yes I do agree that Carter can produce / direct episodes, but he should write zero of the episodes. Bring back his proteges who have since surpassed him.

Offline scorpiesue

• Tuner
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »

...last night i watched the first few minutes of episode 6 and was not liking what i was watching (Moulder scruffy /Joel McHale trying to be serious again /Scully having alien DNA)  and decided to pass as it felt just like the first episode again and filmed at that time  and the other episodes didn't even happen

...i just didn't want to watch especially since i knew there was a major cliff hanger

...how disappointing as i quite enjoyed episode 2,3,4 and 5  ...there was lots of funny lines and i really loved the way Maulder and Scully were so comfortable with each other and cared so much for each other  ...it really brought me back to all those great years i enjoyed the series (till it went off the rails and i stopped watching)

Offline scorpiesue

• Tuner
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »

...Special Agent Einstein ???

...what was that name all about ?  ...who was the genius that thought that would go over well  :P

Offline Wendy Hembrock

• TIST Crew
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
...Special Agent Einstein ???

...what was that name all about ?  ...who was the genius that thought that would go over well  :P
That would likely be Chris Carter, the genius behind the first and finale 'mytharc' episodes.   ;)