Author Topic: Tuner Minute 419 - Virtual Reality  (Read 120 times)

Offline Brent Barrett

• Administrator
  • Delia Derbyshire Fan
    • Boden Maddox Productions

Offline BBinkerd

• Tuner
Re: Tuner Minute 419 - Virtual Reality
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
No way I can leave a voice mail on this subject because you can't understand me when I start frothing at the mouth.
I've been bitten too many times on "the cloud", even before it was called that. I "bought" a lot of old time radio episodes with the promise that I was buying them for real. When I stopped dealing with that website, all of a sudden all of my episodes disappeared.
Then there was some stupid music streaming service that I paid a monthly fee to plus buying several albums. Again... stop using it because it's getting very expensive and all of the albums that I bought evaporate into thin air (making it slightly thicker). And I'm sure everyone remembers the infamous WalMart fiasco where they just turned their DRM servers off so no more albums. I avoided that one.
I've bought 1 move and 2 TV series digitally from Amazon, but that's just a drop in the bucket to what I own. My personal DVD/BluRay collection now stands at 1,750 unique movie titles/TV seasons. I avoid buying digitally like the plague because I can't ever tell if my items will be there in the future.
Until I can physically download movie and TV series and copy them to my phone/tablet/Plex server like I do with my mp3 music I buy from Amazon, I won't be doing a lot of digital purchases and Ikea will keep smiling when I pull in to buy Yet Another Bookcase for my beloved DVD collection.
Okay. I feel better now. Thanks.

Offline Brent Barrett

• Administrator
  • Delia Derbyshire Fan
    • Boden Maddox Productions
Re: Tuner Minute 419 - Virtual Reality
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I feel ya.  I've avoided services where you can't copy the digital file freely to other devices.  You mentioned Amazon music, which is one of the good ones.  I bought a couple of song on iTunes and the hoops you have to go through to move those files is insane.